BTT: Picking and Choosing

02 August 2012

Pooch asks: Overall, what factor most influences your choice of your next read?
My previous read. Most of the time these days I'm reading for work, so there are basic principles I follow - if I'm choosing one hardback and one paperback for a review/promotion, for example, then if I've read a paperback and found it good enough I need to find a hardback next. Or I'd need to read books from different genres, or just different authors (as much as I want to read Partials right now, I can't yet, because I've already chosen a Dan Wells to promote). The last book I read also influences my next book in terms of what kind of mood it put me in. I've recently read two very fast-paced novels, which makes me not want to read something that's a lot slower, even though I usually wouldn't mind. Things like that :)

Right now I'm planning to start on Rachel Hartman's Seraphina, because after Alif the Unseen I wanted to read more fantasy (of the not-too-middle-grade-y kind, which is why I couldn't quite read The Land of Stories... yet). 

Sefcug asks: What is it that makes you want to read a book by an author you have never read before?
A good cover, a good synopsis/blurb, or a good review online. Since I'm looking at new books all the time at work, I'm always looking out for those with eye-catching covers (like the US edition of Rachel Hartman's Seraphina; it's so gorgeous!). Then I'd check if they're a good read, and worth highlighting. Sometimes I wouldn't be too keen on the cover, but I'd get drawn in by the synopsis, blurb, or excerpt on the back of the book - like with Rinsai Rossetti's The Girl With Borrowed Wings. It had a small excerpt on the back, which are the first three sentences of the book: 

"I am unlike most other people because I began, not in the body of my mother, but in the brain of my father. He invented me, you see. He sat down one day and dreamed me up." (The Girl With Borrowed Wings, Rinsai Rossetti) 

These words made me curious enough to grab this book, and read more.

Booking Through Thursday

In an unrelated note, check out our store display for the paperback edition of Murakami's 1Q84! (The picture's quite dark, though ^^;)



1 comments:

Juli Rahel August 2, 2012 at 6:14 PM  

Oh wow, those opening lines are really good. I wonder whether it has anything to do with the Greek goddess Athena who was born from Zeus' head! :) 'Seraphina' looks brilliant, was it sent to you for review or did you buy it?
My BTT

Juli @ Universe in Words

  © Blogger template Writer's Blog by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP